Saturday 4 October 2014

Introducing The Proofs

Introducing The Proofs
    Like most if not all applications of logic and reasoning, we've come to the point where we have to have the formality of proofs. In contrast with my calculus course, the proofs in this course tend to be relaxed and non-chalant in terms of structure. The fact of the matter coming down to our targeted audience. In calculus the assumption being we have to essentially explain the "why" aspect to a beginner while in this course, its targeted to someone with experience. From my perspective, its seems as thought proofs are going to become center-fold in this course. Now to the subject of transitivity and the manipulation rules, the rules seem no different than those found in common algebra coupled with some truth tables. 
    Thinking back to the problem involving the folding of the paper in half over and over again, writing a formal proof has been really thought provoking. Following what alludes to a sort of guideline, knowing what we're given can be denoted as the P(x) and the outcome of what our plan is can be denoted as our Q(x). Now to get from P(x) to Q(x) we must determine the algorithm which is the in-between. More will be coming on this as I work out the details, however the idea is there as seen in my previous log, the problem is just representing it in some sort of expression. With the results being up or down, I'm thinking that there may be some sort of way to represent the results in a truth table styled manner. This wouldn't give me the next sequential terms but rather be the rules for which various new terms arise from. Anyway, more on this as I make more progress.
    One last thought: I believe that we've been sufficiently prepared for the exam coming up and find that the tutorials have been very beneficial. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alex,

    I was also thinking of the similarities between Calculus and this course. It turns out that they do relate a lot. I hope that we can take advantage of these similarities to reaffirm our knowledge. Moreover,I also believe that tutorials have been really helpful in preparing us for the exam.

    By the way, I would invite you to read my post on big-Omega, big-Theta, general properties in which I explain more about the relationship between MAT173 and CSC165. http://ttesttrying.blogspot.ca/2014/11/csc-165-week-10-big-omega-big-theta.html

    All the best,
    Christian

    ReplyDelete